Tuesday, September 7, 2010


yes, my boobs get a big "boo" this week. I have mastitis in my right one and it sucks big time. I guess I should be glad that I have had 10 months of trouble-free breastfeeding but that's doing little to make me feel better now. I woke up Sunday morning with a rather painful boob which I chalked up to engorgement since Jason didn't really nurse very well from that one the night before. I figured I would nurse him on that one first thing and all would be better - it wasn't. It remained hard and sore and I thought "ok, I have a clogged duct, we're just going to have to work on that". I also had kind of all over body pain; the muscles in my legs hurt so bad during church I had to rub them and I was all antsy. I decided to ask my beloved message board what they thought and they thought mastitis so that kind of bummed me out but I had to admit they sounded right all except for one thing - I didn't have a fever. As the day progressed I felt worse and worse and despite frequent nursing my boob got more and more "angry" and by the time I went to bed that night I had a pretty bad case of the chills. I didn't take my temp but I took some tylenol and eventually was able to get to sleep. By Monday I was no better and was running a fever all morning. By noonish I realized I would not be able to work in this condition. I hate calling in sick to work, especially on a weekend or holiday because I know it's difficult to find someone to replace me. When I called in I was asked if I was going to get some antibiotics or anything. Oddly enough, the thought hadn't occured to me but it sounded like a good idea so I called my doctor. Of course, since it was Labor Day, they were closed and I only had about an hour to get to the immediate care clinic before they closed. I didn't want Jason to go to the clinic so I left him home with Dan and drove my sick self to the clinic. Since it was about to close, there were very few people there and I was able to get right in, get my antibiotic prescription and a lot of sympathy and be on my way. I spent the rest of the day kind of hanging out with Jason, taking naps and trying to do as little as possible. I am now fever-free but my boob is still very "angry". I really hope the antibiotics, warm compresses and frequent nursing do the trick because if this turns into an absess, "boo" will not be a big enough word.

No comments:

Post a Comment